Sunday, May 2, 2010

Alphabet Soup

Yeah, well, I'm home alone, with a new baby blog, and no kids reading over my shoulder asking "What are you doing, Mum", so why not say a few more things?

Like, first off - Valerie, you're responsible for this.  Is this blogging going to chew up my life? Normally on a Sunday afternoon I'd be raiding with my guildies on World of Warcraft.

And then, I was debating whether or not to even mention diagnoses here, or just leave our family as neurologically interesting.

Some of us have labels, and some don't. That's not to say we aren't all peculiar in our own ways, it's just that for some of us, getting along in the NT world has been more difficult.

Being a practical person, I'm not averse to using Alphabet Soup to get what my kids need, if that's the only thing that a school or a government department understands.

But still, there is more to a person than a label, so I'd much rather talk about aspects or traits or tendencies.

Alright, I'll do it. *takes a deep breath*

ADHD/ADD, AS/ASD, CAPD (APD), OCD, major Depression, Anxiety.

They are the official ones, and I don't think I've forgotten any.

Then it starts to get blurry.
The child who is not ADHD is a hyperactive, sensory-seeking, kinaesthetic learner, who the school wanted on Ritalin.
The child who has no labels has oral-defensive issues that have me tearing my hair out.
And I'm still not sure where the line gets drawn between ASD obsessions and anxiety and the seperate labels of OCD and Anxiety.
Executive Functioning, anyone? Where does that fit?
Then start to look at the adults, and surprise, surprise, the apples don't fall far from the tree. 

But there you go. Bit of this, bit of that, whole heap of the other, stir up the family gene pools, and you get what you get - just your average family. ROFLMAO.

No comments:

Post a Comment